A Collection of Original Poetry by Students of Ladysmith High School

Monday, 20 October 2014

Meleza Jali ~ A Letter to my Grandfather

As we drove into Lady Frere
I felt you in the mellow breeze
The land stretched and all bare

I could only stare
When I felt my hand in yours squeeze
As we drove into Lady Frere

Life seemed so unfair
As for you I would beg and please
The land stretched and all bare

There was so much to share
The laughter and glee
As we drove into Lady Frere

But I have no more tears to spare
For I know your heart is at ease
As we drive out of Lady Frere
The land stretched and all bare


© Meleza Jali

***
GRADE 9
***

1 comment:

  1. This poem is so touching, Meleza, especially for those of us who have lost a beloved grandparent. Along with the true emotion of the piece, you have also written an amazing villanelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading our poetry!
Positive and supportive commentary is welcomed.
Negative or abusive remarks will not be published.