Thursday 3 May 2018

Enjoy The Game: 2 Poems ~ Uwais Coetzee

Enjoy the Game


I’m tired of writing depressing stuff
But I can’t write anything instead,
Because we write what we feel and I
Feel exactly what I said.
I know why I feel this way
But I can’t tell anyone why
Or rather I don’t want to
Reveal my secrets so I
Keep them bottled and say nothing
And keep quiet all the time.
I hide my secrets and stay a mystery
And tell me, is it a crime?
Is it a crime to want to hide?
Is it a crime to stay inside?
Is it a crime to change your tide
When you feel a little tired?
To be a secret and in the shadows
And never say a thing
Because we all wish for
A reality in which we cling
To the hope and aren’t hopeless,
To the life and aren’t lifeless,
To be less tired and be tireless,
To live without pain: painless.
In which we take our joys
And portray them with a scream,
Where love goes two ways
And we work as a team,
Instead of whispering our sorrows
And are silently in pain,
To move to better options
And enjoy the game.



Don’t Drop It


We choose to keep going
Like the grains of wood
Like the clouds in the sky
Like the people that could
Have survived another moment
Have survived another day
Have survived another week
If we chose not to say
What may have been the thing
That pushed them over the cliff
That sent them over the edge
But what if, what if?
What if we weren’t so angry?
What if we weren’t so mean?
What if we could have known?
What if we could have seen?
Would it have changed the way
You saw your reflection?
Would it have changed
The mass delusional deception?
That life is good
And life is nice
And blades and ropes
Wouldn’t have to suffice
In this place where
The sky is blue and birds can fly
And tears occasionally
Fall from an eye
And I am not perfect
But if I were then
Maybe I’d have saved you
From dropping your pen.



©  Uwais Coetzee

***
Grade 12
***