Sunday 7 January 2018

Is It Normal? ~ Uwais Coetzee

is it normal for me to feel exposed?
is it normal for me to feel open?
is it normal for me to be this moody?
is it normal for me to be hoping?
i find pictures, poetry,
music and people who
say, sound and feel as if they
know my struggle.
as if they know my pain.
as if i'm not standing alone
getting wet in the rain.
as if they could understand
the fundamentals of my thoughts.
as if they could know who i am.
but who brings logic to feelings?
who speaks words to pain?
we can't talk properly.
we can't begin to explain
how we experience life
or feel from day to day.
we have all had a painful love.
we have all felt that way.
we have all changed ourselves in little ways
to try to get someone to care.
we try to be "normal".
because all we do is compare.
i think that others feel the same
or at least i hope.
it's a way of not being alone
it's a method of trying to cope.
in a world of different perspectives.
in a place with different lives
living the same struggles
in different ways.
is the way i express my
pain normal?
is it normal?


©  Uwais Coetzee


***
Grade 12
***