Sunday 7 January 2018

I Still Do ~ Uwais Coetzee

i still think of you everyday.
i still do.
if anyone mentions love and happiness
in my mind is you.
do you think of me
the same way?
if i tried to leave
would you want me to stay?
would you ask me to stay?
would my absence make you
long for something that could've been yours
at any point along the way?
as selfish as it seems,
i hope you're sad
when we part ways.
i hope you bawl,
i hope you cry,
i hope when people ask if you're okay
you have to lie.
i hope you feel how i felt
for months and months on end.
not knowing if our happiness
is just around the bend.
because you kept me hoping.
wishing.
thinking we could be.
while all along knowing
that you didn't want me.
while you spoke to everyone else
and kept me on a rope.
the rope around my heart
forcing me to hope.
that one day, eventually
i'd be lucky enough to have you.
i still think of you everyday.
i still do.


©  Uwais Coetzee


***
Grade 12
***