Monday 11 May 2020

Seed, Cunning, Narrow ~ Uwais Coetzee

Seed


People move, walk, wander through life,
like a leaf floating down a river
or like a boat on the wind.
Planting a seed in every boat and leaf
we bump along into, 
hoping they grow to be who we wanted to love,
trying to mould the branches,
guide the stems,
lead the progress.
We grow by growing others into who we want to be.
We love by loving others and setting them free.



Cunning


Behind the woods in a forest, 
A long, long time ago,
Lived a fox of sly maneuver and
A mind of multitudes more.
Stealing not but riches and gold
Stealing less of material goods
For which people so hard had fought.
Instead he stole love and hope
And every lingering happy thought.
One day in the forest of spoken,
A passer-by by did meet said fox,
A passer-by of beauty and folly
And had beautiful auburn locks.
She said "Fox, don't run, don't worry.
I never intend to harm, I'll stay far but
I ask just a simple question,
What makes you who you are?
Why are you so cunning?
Why are you so sly?
What do you get out of stealing our joy?
All I ask is why?"
The Fox replied, while a smile,
Before running away all free,
"it isn't that I'm so cunning, I'm just
As cunning as cunning lets me be."




Narrow


I could follow you, endlessly, along this path you're leading me down.
A path of roses, of crossroads and feelings,
of love and bliss.
A narrow path filled with the joy you bring.
But the narrow path has edges,
the narrow path has thorns on the roses and depression in the feelings,
heartbreak in the love and ignorance in the bliss
but I could follow.
But following a narrow path
behind someone so bright does nothing but cloud who you are.
Your narrow path was never an option
 I wanted to take but I could have followed you forever.
A narrow path of inevitable hurt but it had you.


© Uwais Coetzee


***
Matric 2018
***