Thursday 16 April 2020

If I Should Die, Think Only This of Me ~ Pryaska Goorhoo

If I should die, think only this of me,
If I was still around
 I'd be telling you this over a nice cup of tea.
I was the surprise party... the helium inside a balloon,
I was the obsidian sky
holding up the bright moon.

I was like the screams
 from an amusement park,
Like an ultrasound
guiding a surgical needle through the dark.
I was the birthday cake
... the one from your favorite birthday,
I was that summer's day
that you had in the middle of May.

I was the wild oak,
changing and growing,
But you were the roots,
strong and grounded like a powerful river flowing.
I was the spinal cord, heart and brain.
But it meant nothing without
having the capillaries, arteries and veins.

Remember me for being
honest and real,
A fresh baguette and
Warm tomato soup as a meal.
I was Neptune and you
were its rings.
In my peregrination through life, I hope
 I turned your winters into spring...



© Pryaska Goorhoo

***
Matriculant 2017
***