Monday 9 December 2019

A Poem for the Beginning of Spring ~ Malwazi Moholi

Love in Sadness

Written in September 2019


There are scars in place of serious wounds,
although, only after some time.
Some wounds take longer to heal,
while some cause more anguish, get distracted just to forget the anxiety.
Physical wounds would heal and leave a scar,
yet, emotional wounds reminisce and never really heal,
always holding back melancholic sounds
while painting a burning Cistus.

A "self-portrait," you said.
"Tomorrow, You will die," you said.
Even though you knew nothing of what you were saying,
you knew exactly how to inflict the pain you have always had.
Treating me as your own canvas,
painting pretty flowers of different colors on my flesh,
while trying to hide your lonely, painful secret.
I was a burning Cistus, waiting for someone to put out the fire and give me water.
The bruises you painted on my body eventually disappeared,
but my fear and anxiety for you lingered...
It lingered long after I burned in your eyes.

Time passed and watered my wounds,
nourished my heart and gave me the hope I needed to bloom again.
I grew to experience life with a different perspective,
from a burning Cistus to the surviving Rosemary.

From lost hope and despair
to an ounce of light and beauty within the valley of tears and shadows that I lived.

A Rosemary growing in place of a deep emotional wound.
A physical change to embrace my change in emotion.


© Malwazi Moholi

***
Matriculant 2018
***