Sunday 7 July 2019

Energy, Footprints & Habits ~ Uwais Coetzee

Energy


Under a sky of a million stars, I saw
Instead the hope of there being hope.
I sit in a new life with new people
But a strange familiarity as if living
Is what destiny was all about.
Instead of where I am, instead of
What I do, instead of being depressed
And dwelling on you, I find myself
Too busy in expression to express.
Too busy crying with laughter to cry
In torture. My tears instead are
filled with the hope of a hope and
the waves of a light that shine brighter
than the stars I sat under tonight.
They say that energy can never be created
Nor can it be destroyed and only
Transferred. Well now the energy seems
To be mine. It’s our turn to shine.



Footprints


I follow your footprints every time you
Seem to cross this lonely mind of
Mine. I track you as if being a
Tracker was all I was ever meant
To be. Or not to be, because the
Question was never ‘who’ or ‘why’. You
See, those have always been two certain
Answers that go something like ‘you’
and ‘who else?’. The question was
always ‘when’, because it was me who
helped you from the trenches of a
broken heart but as soon as you
stopped using me as a step ladder
for your own gain I fell into those
same trenches of the same pain.
You see, the narrative has never
Been about you and I, it was always
You then I came tailing you waiting
To be in your tale for once. They
Say that Humpty Dumpty broke when he
Fell, but nowhere did it say he was an egg.
Humans can break irreparably too. Maybe
My fall just happened to be you.



Habits


I’ve heard to form a habit
It takes 21 days.
Did I think of you for 21 days
For you to be so thoroughly stuck in my ways?
You became a habit that
Wouldn’t leave no matter how many others
I picked up along the way.
So invested into me that any
Example of love I could find,
You’d be the only thing that
Would crash into my mind.
Habits stay habits because they are
Always around. Frame for frame, game
For difficult game, stride for increasing
Stride and lunge that leads to plunge.
In forgetting a habit, forgetting the habit
Becomes the habit you try to ultimately forget.
Forgetting a habit is like travelling to
A non-existent destination just like me forgetting you
Is like trying to procrastinate procrastination.
We’ll never get there.


© Uwais Coetzee

***
Matriculant 2018
***