Sunday 7 July 2019

Changes, Goodbyes, Thank You ~ Uwais Coetzee

Changes


He said he’d always choose her
But now he wasn’t so sure.
He’d seen so many faces,
He’d seen so much more.
He’d found his ways to pass the time
And how to forget about his pain.
But his usual old tendencies had
Seemed to stay the same.
He had his words,
Lived in the dark,
Blocked out the world
But left his mark.
He’d changed so much
And yet stayed the same
and was always but always
sticking to his game.
He missed the way they spoke
But not enough to speak
And he’d found his level of nonchalant
He’d set out to seek.
He was out to live his life
And face his problems in a line
But these days people
Could face two at a time.




Goodbyes


The tears running down our faces
Our unwavering and incurable shivers.
Our tortured goodbyes
Embraced us more than
We could ever embrace
Each other.
Quivering bottom lips
And tears stained faces
Forced us to wander away
From our places.
Out of our zones
And into each other’s comfort
Finding companionship in
Each other’s solidarity,
With mutual pain
Being
The suffering that bound us together.
Tears still rolling and cheeks
Still wet, we were still warm
In the embrace of the fate
Waiting for the cold. The coldest part,
Things are always coldest as soon as they
Separate.




Thank you


Thank you for teaching me, whether it
Had to be via the hard route or not, your
Not loving me taught me how to love.
The depth of your eyes showed me that
There are things more beautiful than
Beauty itself. Your imperfections showed
Me just how ugly perfection is. Your
Existence became synonymous with love
For me ever since we started speaking.
You showed me the love that I never saw
Before. You taught me that love could
Never have been one dimensional, that even
Pain from love is love in itself.
Thank you for not loving me.
It was your eyes and not the sea nor the
Sky that taught me why I loved the blue
And even though I’ll love you more than you’ll
Ever see, thank you for never loving me.


© Uwais Coetzee

***
Matriculant 2018

***