Saturday 18 May 2019

Refuge ~ Uwais Coetzee

After saying I wouldn’t
I sit here ready to write.
Ready with gun in hand yet
Steady, unprepared to fight.
Is anyone ever ready for war?
Is anyone ready to battle?
Does anyone willingly go into the dark
With nothing but hope and pain as
Reminders of the light?
Is anyone ready to fight?
I write, not because I enjoy seeing
Pain on paper but put pen on paper
To see the pain you caused, instead
Of feel it. If seeing this pain is
More refuge than feeling it, I’d write
To you about you and me so you’d see
The damage hope could cause. I write
In hopes of finding the comfort that I never
Found in you. It’s funny how we seek
Acceptance and refuge from the sources of
The pain. It’s like trying to sooth a bullet
Wound with a pistol still hot from the shot.



© Uwais Coetzee

***
Matriculant 2018
***