Saturday 24 April 2021

Your Love is Transactional ~ TK Lushaba

 I can't really say I’m surprised

Or even that I’m disappointed.

But,

The love I was offered before we started 

Had me feeling like I was appointed

Had me feeling like I was chosen 

Had me feeling like I was important 

Like I mattered, you know?

I bought into your promise, 

Bought into your proposition,

Thinking it was a proposal.

Your silver tongue made it difficult 

To see that all I was being offered was Fool's Gold.

I was just another asset,

Just a product for you to "invest in", 

Another prospect for you to exploit.

My value to you was held only

In what you could gain from loving me.

The love I was delivered was different.

It had no warmth, no humanity.

It was inorganic, unnatural, used 

Like Currency.

Purely transactional.

Acquiring your love required labour, 

But that labour was never fully compensated.


© Thokoza B. Lushaba

Matriculant 2020