Monday 24 September 2018

Just Silence ~ Sibongile Maseko

Tonight,
I lie on my favourite pillow
Saddened by tears
Because tonight, I'm hollow
I lost the only person who cares.

Nothing can mitigate the pain I'm feeling,
You left me with a gash that is deprived from healing.
How do I contend this dreadful calamity?
Who is going to fill this void within me,
this whole vicinity?

These retrospective memories,
They're so voracious!
They eat me up inside, just to retch
Then excrete these lethal fluids,
and out they go, in the form of tears.

Oh, but how contemptuous can you be?
Just leaving me
With nothing but this deafening silence.
No one will help me up when I slump on the floor
Because I lost the only person who cares,
The only one who hears
When I don't make a single utterance.
Now,
There's nothing but silence,
Just silence.


© Sibongile Maseko


***
Grade 11
***