Sunday 24 April 2022

Old Box of Flowers - Justin Van Vuuren

 4.

I’ve got this big old box of flowers

Aren’t they pretty?

I’m walking for hours feeling witty

So I stumble upon you not having a good day

And I say

“hey hey, just take one of my flowers”

And you say thanks and it brightens up your day

And you head on your way

Now I have one less flower

But that’s okay, cause I say I’ll be okay.

Just seven pretty flowers all wrapped up in a box

I wish they were limitless, but their not

Its another day, another flower

Are you okay? Another flower

Out of harms way, another day, another flower

3 2 1 flowers left and I’m running so low

Oh so low on the life I once had so

I debate to give you the flowers

To give you the power to fight away any

Sour thoughts you have everyday

And take it upon myself as I drift

Further into dirt like my flowers

I wish I never had any flowers

Cause now, like a vase

I’m empty

 

-          Spicy Icy



5.

Amongst the crowd, a tall lady stood strong

Unworried by the commotion around.

Violinists played the sweetest love song

My heart fluttered, no longer on firm ground

 

In her immense, blue-green eyes like the sea

Everything close by gradually slowed down.

She turned, facing directly towards me,

Gently walking amidst our old-time town

 

Butterflies fill my stomach and I blush

Not knowing what to do, I say “Hello”

She quickly stops because she feels the rush

Que the love piece, let it set love aglow

 

Like others, our story started with “Hi”

The difference comes how pairs say “Bye”

-          Spicy Icy



6.

Take my broken heart

and rip it from my chest

Steal away my soul

and finally put me to rest

 

I dreamt about you day and night

and I wanted you to be mine

You watched me in my hardest days

and sometimes watched me shine

 

Every time I saw you

my heart would skip a beat

Every time you said my name

I would spring out of my seat

 

I loved you with my heart and soul

I loved you year after year

But something always kept us apart

our confusion, our chances, our fear

 

But now there is no hope for us

We are doomed to be apart

Maybe I won’t feel the pain

if you completely break my heart

-          Spicy Icy


Justin van Vuuren

***

Grade 12

***