Wednesday 10 April 2019

I Am Not What I Am ~ Nkazimulo Mvemve

Listen... Listen.
Listen to the hundreds, the thousands and millions,
hear the voice of many in the mouth of one.
The voice whose eyes speak more than its mouth.

All from the south, north, east and west.
All the four corners of this round globe, I exist.
In his mind, in her heart, in their conscious with their spirit, see me in their actions.

It is not my truth nor is it my lie but,
thousands of me die, under a misunderstood persona.
Misjudged, misread and mislead into believing, it... to be, when it is not. It never was... or was it?

I am not what I am.
What you seem to believe is something that was seen
in the eyes of many and conceived in the same mind.
I was never what you thought of me to be.

Maybe you don't know or acknowledged it too late, but
my fate... Isn't, nor will it ever be controlled by perceptions
I, I, I am way more that what you think of me.
I feel, I breathe, I taste, I cry and I think.

Of times... When I was alone with many, when
I was content with my own space.
I am gentle in my violence and pure in my sinful life.
I am relaxed and stressed, but most of what I am, I do not know best.

All and all, above and beyond.
Over, under, through, inside, outside and past... Everything!
Que sera sera, so the story goes.
On and on and back and forth, the evolutions absolute.

Who will tell tale of young rebels against the system?
Them, who refuse to conform or comply to the ways of authority.
Who will lead the stampede of lost souls, in the middle of their metamorphosis?

Like, what's the point of having a voice if there is no body to follow?
Leaders are chosen inside the millions, no outside, no bystanders.
I chose to follow who knows my struggle, who understands my pain,
who understands my craziness.
I am not fit to lead, but somewhere I the crowd I know "I"... am.

So bring forth the slow sunrise, for a new day has dawned.
Lighting up the horizon, I march on the grassy savanna.
One in many and many in one.
Wreckless nevertheless I stumble but not fall.
My hands will never touch the ground.

Look upon my sex less body, what I am you may never know.
Where I'm from you will never go.
Your lies conceived me.
I birthed, in a cloud as an unknown entity of beauty and hope.

I live by the millions and die by the hundreds. Reincarnation!
I will never die. I will only become harder to handle and too strong to impede.
"I am not what I am".
I adapt with change...
Knowing me will discomfort you, since you are always the same.



©  Nkazimulo Mvemve

***
GRADE 12
***